How To Protect Your Data
North American Precis Syndicate
To fight phishing and the like, get your computer checked regularly. (NAPS)
(NAPSI)—Chances are your data, whether personal or at work, has been compromised. Even before half the adults in America
had their information stolen from a major credit-reporting agency, there were
about 178 million personal records exposed in 2015 and it’s estimated
that number rose to more than 200 million in 2016.
The technology you use every day—computers at work or home, printers
and your mobile phone—needs to be protected. By 2020 there are
projected to be 20.8 billion Internet-connected things—and they’ll
all need protection.
Fortunately, however, you can go a long way toward protecting your data
with seven simple steps.
1. Back up all critical data saved on your personal machines.
2. Keep dynamic and different passwords across applications; consider
using a password manager.
3. Be very diligent whenever clicking on a link or attachment in any
e-mail—don’t get phished.
4. Be very cautious about entering data into a pop-up window.
5. Review your privacy settings on all social media tools.
6. Shred your bills, medical records and the like before discarding them.
You can also have them shredded at a trusted retailer such as Staples.
7. Get your electronic devices professionally reviewed and updated. Simply
drop off your PC at Staples or bring it in and while you wait the tech-savvy
associates there will review the device for security issues or update your
PC/Desktop Network Security plan, make any necessary recommendations and
offer 10 percent off the service recommendations you decide to get.
The security assessment service includes:
• Either an in-store or remote connection service
• A review of MSConfig and a list of
current start-up apps
• A check to ensure that the following are installed, enabled and up
to date: Windows or personal firewall, anti-virus software, all operating and
applications security patches
• A scan for adware, spyware
• Based on a network and/or device security assessment, Staples will
provide you with the necessary steps to improve and protect the machine.
For further information or to find the nearest store, go to www.staples.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)